Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions from KKES


What is Asbestos?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring rock mineral. It has been mined for its use in thousands of products since its discovery by the Greek and Roman Empires. Due to its unique properties, those of which being fire resistance, high tensile strength, having poor heat and electrical conductivity and being highly resistant to chemicals, Asbestos has proved to be well suited for many construction industries.

Where Can Asbestos be found?

If the material is not solid wood, quarry rock or metal, there is a chance asbestos could have been incorporated into the material. The most commonly found materials it is currently found are:

  • Drywall Textures/Joint Compound
  • Popcorn Ceilings
  • Floor Tile and associated adhesive
  • Linoleum Flooring
  • Boiler Pipe Insulation/Boiler Gaskets
  • HVAC wrapping
  • Fire Proofing
  • Cement Tile Roofing/Siding

What are the Danger of Asbestos?

Asbestos in an undisturbed state poses a minimal health risk. When disturbed during repairs, renovations or demolition, asbestos fibers can be released into the air where it is then inhaled into the body.

The three main health risks from asbestos exposure are:

  • Mesothelioma: A cancer of the chest cavity lining.
  • Asbestosis: Fibrotic scarring of the lung.
  • Lung Cancer

Smoking while being exposed to asbestos has proved to be exponentially harmful. A smoker who has been exposed to asbestos has been found to be 50x more likely to get cancer than that of a non smoker who has had no exposure to asbestos. For ore information please visit the CDPHE Asbestos page

Mold Questions Answered:

Mold, while common in the environments we live in, are an unwelcome guest indoors. There are many varieties of mold you may encounter in your home.

The most common varieties of mold found in homes are:

  • Alternaria
  • Aspergillus
  • Aureobasidium
  • Chaetomium
  • Cladosporium
  • Fusarium
  • Penicillium
  • Stachybotrys Chartarum
  • Serpula Lacrymans
  • Trichoderma
  • Ulocladium 

Health reactions will vary between mold types and from person to person. It is important to have these cleaned by professionals to help minimize the reoccurrence of the mold in the future.

Lead Based Paint Questions Answered:

When was lead based paint used? 

Lead Based Paint was used commonly prior to 1978.

Am I at risk if I have lead paint in my home?

Over years of deterioration, paint may begin to chip, or flake away. If you inhale or ingest these particles you may be at risk of potential negative effects from the lead.

Who is most at risk?

While everyone can receive negative health effects from lead paint exposure, children are the most at risk. Studies have shown that in children’s growing bodies, they will absorb the lead at a much higher rate than within adults. Given the nature of children and their tendencies to place objects or their hands in their mouths, they are more likely to ingest this material.

I have lead paint in my home, what do I do?

If you are planning any renovation, or repair of a surface that has been painted with lead paint, contact KKES to help with the safe removal for your project.

Properly maintaining these surfaces, as with any material, will greatly help reduce the likelihood of lead paint exposure. Please visit the EPA page for Lead Based Paint